Historic Public Buildings


c.1892

Massachusetts State House,
Hall of Flags,
Boston MA.

Incorporated in the original Tiffany glass design, were twelve, five and one half-foot plaster wreaths, joined by twelve, eighteen-inch rosettes. The rosettes were conserved and reinforced, new FRG wreaths were hung, and the repaired rosettes were then installed.

c. 1796

Massachusetts State House,
Senate Chamber,
Boston, MA.

The cross-linking of existing oil paints contributed to the delamination of finish coat plasters and historic paint layers, dating from the Bullfinch and Washburn eras. Stabilization was achieved through the injection of acrylic adhesives.

c.1896

Massachusetts State House,
House Chamber,
Boston, MA.

The gallery support columns had delaminated at the plaster-burlap interface. Injection ports were drilled, acrylic adhesives applied, and exterior holes patched to match the existing finish.

c.1850 Vermont State House,
Montpelier, VT.

Old roof leaks contributed to the loosening of the original lime plasters. These were reattached. Missing cornices were replaced and their 1880′s polychrome schemes were documented.

c.1896 Pennsylvania State House,
House Chamber,
Harrisburg, PA.

Two of the two foot ceiling coffers were rebuilt, replacing sites where two modern speakers were located. The surround egg and dart, and center rosette were molded and recast as well as the bead and reel detail. An enriched trim molding and pilaster leaf tips were recast. Plaster wreath surrounds for the stained glass windows had broken leaf tips re-carved. Where the sprinkler heads protruded through the rosette centers and egg and dart trim, they were in-filled true to profile.

c.1911 Tuck Library,
New Hampshire Historical Society,
Concord, N. H.

This beaux-arts library building underwent extensive restoration to correct water leakage problems. Pilaster capitals were replaced, the originals being Caen stone cement, cornices run and walls repaired.

#